My diabetic supplies.So, my 3 hour glucose came back that I have gestational diabetes. Monday was class from 12-4 to learn all about my new diet by meeting with a dietician and nurse from the program Mercy offers called Sweet Success. I got my Accucheck Aviva monitor and my strips and lancets. I tested that night to a normal reading. Lets just say this diet and program is incredibly time consuming and mentally exhausting. I eat every 2 hours, test 3 times a day, and have to eat from the items they say I can and the 30 carb per meal limit is all I can have. Which, ironically the first day I was starving and by the next day my body had adjusted. I have to keep my body moving once I finish eating. I have 20 min to eat and once done, I am off to do the treadmill, housework and up and down the stairs and then it's off to test. Then I log my number in a book, and write down my food in a food journal which requests exact times I eat, everything I ate, and the glucose number.
I have been spending at least 6-7 hours a day occupied with this. Not including the time standing in front of the fridge trying to figure out what combo of foods work. Then there is the cooking time. It has become a full time job. Last night I had errands to run and couldn't leave the house till 9:30 pm after my final test. I guess it is really a way for me to get used to 2 hour feedings. If I have an appointment at 10:00am, I would normally get up at 9:15 and leave. Now I have to get up around 7:30-8, to plan my breakfast, cook it, log in my 3 books, walk and weight lift, test, then leave for the doctor. Oy Vey! I haven't been able to really call people lately. My mind is always occupied with the time and planning. Tomorrow I meet with the OB's Dietician who will help me with actual meal planning. Thank God! If she tells me meals, I can goto the store, and have my life back. It's so hard to figure out what to eat.
Anyways, Monday is my follow up with Sweet Success. They will look at my numbers and see if I have controlled my diabetes with diet and exercise. If not, I will have to be put on a pill. They really discourage that and encourage people to go by the program by the book. Then on tuesdays I fax over my weekly numbers and we make diet/exercise changes as needed.
Countdown to Feb 20th 2009. Once I give birth, and the placenta is gone, I no longer need to test or eat strictly. Ahhhhh.. at least some light at the end of the tunnel. I asked the dietician if I could have Black Angus and cookies delivered to the hospital. She laughed and so did the women next to me pregnant with twins who is a RN in the labor and delivery of Folsom. She knew exactly what I was thinking. It will be long road to get things down path and I am not in the clear just yet.
Diabetes in pregnant women gets worse as the pregnancy progresses. As the hormones get higher, so does the difficulty in controlling it. And to boot, I wont be able to keep going up and down stairs in the final 4 weeks, since it could put me in labor. Yikes!!! I could use your prayers in that I will be able to make it all the way without drugs.
I have been spending at least 6-7 hours a day occupied with this. Not including the time standing in front of the fridge trying to figure out what combo of foods work. Then there is the cooking time. It has become a full time job. Last night I had errands to run and couldn't leave the house till 9:30 pm after my final test. I guess it is really a way for me to get used to 2 hour feedings. If I have an appointment at 10:00am, I would normally get up at 9:15 and leave. Now I have to get up around 7:30-8, to plan my breakfast, cook it, log in my 3 books, walk and weight lift, test, then leave for the doctor. Oy Vey! I haven't been able to really call people lately. My mind is always occupied with the time and planning. Tomorrow I meet with the OB's Dietician who will help me with actual meal planning. Thank God! If she tells me meals, I can goto the store, and have my life back. It's so hard to figure out what to eat.
Anyways, Monday is my follow up with Sweet Success. They will look at my numbers and see if I have controlled my diabetes with diet and exercise. If not, I will have to be put on a pill. They really discourage that and encourage people to go by the program by the book. Then on tuesdays I fax over my weekly numbers and we make diet/exercise changes as needed.
Countdown to Feb 20th 2009. Once I give birth, and the placenta is gone, I no longer need to test or eat strictly. Ahhhhh.. at least some light at the end of the tunnel. I asked the dietician if I could have Black Angus and cookies delivered to the hospital. She laughed and so did the women next to me pregnant with twins who is a RN in the labor and delivery of Folsom. She knew exactly what I was thinking. It will be long road to get things down path and I am not in the clear just yet.
Diabetes in pregnant women gets worse as the pregnancy progresses. As the hormones get higher, so does the difficulty in controlling it. And to boot, I wont be able to keep going up and down stairs in the final 4 weeks, since it could put me in labor. Yikes!!! I could use your prayers in that I will be able to make it all the way without drugs.
No comments:
Post a Comment